Water Is Life
I believe that distilled water is the fountain of life. Your health first starts with the water you drink. The cleaner your water, the less your body has to work to filter out impurities.
Water is a big part of my life and is why I often write about it on this website. There are so many interesting aspects of water, that one can never stop learning about it. Water is so very important to your body health and to the quality of your life. In this post, I hope to share the top 10 water distillers on the market.
As I am constantly learning and exploring the many different varied aspects of water. I have just recently been pulled toward water distillation, as this is my preferred method of drinking water. As this is the best way to get the purest form of water. Despite having a reverse osmosis filtering system, I wanted even a better system for having the very best clean water.
Shocking must-watch video. This long video sure gets you thinking about water.
Why is this?
Well, for a whole list of reasons. My family and my health is at the top of the list. As both my wife and I have health problems, I have genetic kidney disease, and I don’t want to add to the additional strain on my body by drinking tap water loaded with chlorine, fluoride, and a whole host of other chemicals, as well as dissolved solids. Leaving my already taxed kidneys to filter more impurities from water than they need to.
What Is Distilled Water?
To better help out people, that are new to distilled water, I would like to briefly explain what distilled water is.
It is quite simple; water is boiled into steam, the steam then cools and condenses into liquid water. Leaving you only 100% pure clean sterilized water. No other method works as well as distilling water for purity. Not filtered water. Not reverse osmosis. Distilling water is the best method!
This is the same method the earth uses to create rain, snow, and fog. This process removes all impurities: heavy metals, chlorine, chloramines, fluoride, organic compounds, and others. Distilling water requires a heating element to heat the water to steam. This kills all bacteria and viruses present as well.
All of the systems that use a filter to purify water, use a filter to try to remove the contaminants from the water. The big difference is with a distiller, it effectively removes the water from the containment. I believe the advantages of having a home distiller over any filtering system are huge. In long-term cost as well as in the quality of water.
Depending on your family size and how much water is consumed and used within your household will determine what best distiller unit to buy. A family of two could easily get by with using a countertop model that distills a gallon of water every 4 to 5 hours.
If you are concerned about your long-term family’s health and looking for less maintenance than standard water filters, a good quality water distiller will last for decades.
Quick Overview Of The Top 10 Water Distillers
- Megahome Countertop Water Distiller ***Best Choice***
- H2oLabs Water Distiller ***Great Second Choice***
- H2oLabs Automatic Water Distiller***Great for a business or large family***
- Pure Water Mini-Classic CT
- Waterwise 4000
- Waterwise 8800 Deluxe
- CNCShop 4L
- Tuttnauer 9000
Helpful Tips & Accessories For Water Distillers
Before we get into the best water distillers, I want to head you off at the pass because these accessories will make owning a distiller a whole lot simpler and you can’t miss out on this. These accessories for water distillers will make distilling water super easy and healthier. Who doesn’t want that right?
If you plan on buying a water distiller, you absolutely need this!!! Depending on your distiller that you purchased.
Well, one of the biggest disadvantages to owning and using a water distiller is the cleanup. As the residue that is left behind burnt into the bottom of the stainless steel container after a cycle of distilling water is hard to clean. Requiring extra elbow grease, maintenance time, and additional chemicals to properly get clean. Trust me you don’t want to clean the distiller if you don’t have to.
Well, it doesn’t have to be like that anymore…
Using a smart plug allows you to turn on and off the water distiller before all the water is evaporated. I usually set the timer for 4 1/2 hours to 4 3/4 hours; this usually leaves about roughly 1 inch of water left in the distiller. Where I just dump the water out, instead of scrubbing it and using chemicals. You will see all the contaminants condensed at the bottom of the pan. Yuck!
The Wemo Smart Plug allows you to shut off the distiller right before all the water is fully evaporated even without being there physically. As you can control this with an app on your phone or through Amazon Alexa and even Google Assistant. The app requires no subscription, so no worries there. This works through your home WI-FI.
Getting this will also extend the life of your water distiller, as this shuts off before the heat sensor is trip. Anytime you can keep a piece of machinery from getting too hot is a good thing.
Your going to want additional storage of water since making your own distilled water takes time. Nothing is better than storing your water in glass. You don’t want to go through all the time to distill water then put it in a plastic jug. If you’re looking to have the cleanest distilled water, you’re going to need to store the water in a glass container.
I purchased four additional Home Brew Ohio Glass Water Bottle 1 Gallon to keep one in my main fridge and the others to store in my second refrigerator. This ensures I never run out of clean distilled water. Oh and no more recycling those plastic jugs anymore! Good for the environment as well.
I also purchased a Glass Carafe 1 Liter with Lid for easier pouring, which I also leave in the fridge for available cool, crisp, clean water anytime.
This is my top pick from design to its effectiveness at producing the purest water. This is the most trusted name in water distillation on the market today and has been on the market for over 22 years. This has the best quality parts and ergonomics for a countertop distiller.
This distiller comes in at 11 pounds and dimensions of 10 X 10 X 14 inches. This will make 1 gallon per 5.5 hours. This has all glass and stainless steel construction with all parts that come in contact with water. This is very important as you are dealing with heated temperatures and don’t want that to come in contact with any plastic.
This is the distiller I have purchased, and I can’t be any happier. No more hauling gallon jugs of distilled water from the grocery store to my home. Water taste is excellent. I think this will fulfill most people’s needs.
- Ergonomic handle. This makes it easy to pour water as this can hold 1 gallon of water, which can be quite heavy, to say the least. Best handle out of the bunch.
- Pour spout. Allows you to direct water effectively when pouring, another key feature.
- UL approved.
- Glass and 304 stainless steel construction. As zero plastic parts are in connection with the water when distilling or collecting. They have even thought to make a glass-lined nozzle and glass carafe.
- 1-year warranty.
- Megahome has been making distillers for 22 years.
- The charcoal filter used at the glass insert to remove VOCs and improve the taste.
- If a part does break (like dropping the glass insert), you can easily order replacement parts.
- BPA free.
- Great Amazon ratings!
- Also comes in white.
- No installation required.
- No on and off switch, as this runs until the water is completely gone, as most distillers do. See my tip above, and get a Wemo Smart Plug. This works by just plugging it in.
2. H2oLabs Best-In-Class Stainless Water Distiller with Glass Carafe, Glass Nozzle Insert, and Most Effective VOC Removal
This comes in close to becoming the top distiller in my list and is a great choice, as well.
This is a highly tested and evaluated countertop distiller for a whole list of functions and maintenance. First off all the internal parts are 304 stainless steel, from boiling chamber to condensing coil. It even has a glass nozzle (instead of a plastic nozzle). The unit boosts it uses a 565-watt heating element, while other cheaper units use a higher watt element. This both saves energy and helps with maintenance you have the purest water. Bigger isn’t always better. This does increase the time in producing a gallon of water, but if it prevents VOCs and other contaminants, I am all for having a slight increase in time. Plus with a lower wattage element, it is less likely to burn out on you, thus increasing the lifespan of the unit.
Comes with a year’s supply of Carbon pods that are also 3X bigger than every other distiller out there. To last longer and provide the most capturing of VOCs. Also comes with a jar of non-toxic cleaner.
The dimensions of this unit are 16.5 X 12 X 11.3 inches, and this weighs in at 13.18 pounds.
- Well built unit.
- Glass carafe.
- Biggest carbon pods (3 times bigger) to filter out and last longer than most filters.
- 100% 304 Stainless Steel internal parts. The chamber and condensing coil.
- Ergonomic handle, called Easy Lift for handling a heavy full carafe.
- Glass nozzle insert, not plastic or stainless steel. This improves taste.
- 565 Watt heating element, as some units have an 800-watt heating element. This lower watt element heats the water correctly preventing VOCs and other contaminants from entering the water.
- Comes with a year supply of H2o Labs Exclusive Activated Carbon Pods.
- Great instruction manual included. Easy to read and informationally.
- Made in Taiwan.
- More energy efficient than most distillers.
- High Amazon rating.
- 1-year Full Warranty. This can be extended to 3 years, as well.
- UL listed.
- Great support and customer service.
- All plastic that comes with this unit is Food Safe and BPA-Free.
- Comes with a cleaning product.
- Quite when running, less noise than from a microwave.
- Slightly more time to distill water but at least you know the unit works first to maintain the cleanest water possible. It takes about 4 1/2 h to 5 hours to make one gallon.
This is a great option for people with a large family that wants to have distilled clean drinking water. This makes 8 gallons a day and has a large 6 gallons reserve tank.
You have to hook a water supply line to this unit, but after that, it pretty much runs itself. This is the nice thing about this distiller. There is some maintenance involved with this, as with any other distiller. This depends on your water source as well, but it requires weekly maintenance that takes about 2 minutes…not too bad and also about every couple of months a cleaning of the boiler.
- Low electricity consumption.
- Great for a large family and should supply enough water easily.
- A high output of distilled water. Makes 7 gallons a day.
- Has a large 6 gallons reserve tank.
- Automatic system. Turns on and off when the tank gets low. Fills tank when need.
- Easy to maintain.
- Bigger unit.
- Need to connect a water supply line to it. But it’s pretty easy.
- Heavy and large. This comes in at a weight of 35 pounds, and the dimensions are 18 X 12 X 18.5 inches.
Pure Water is definitely a heavy hitter in the world of distillers both countertop models and larger units for large businesses and for government agencies. Having their water distillers in over 100 US embassies throughout the world to provide their staff with clean, fresh, safe distilled water is a sign of real trustworthiness and reliability.
This unit is a compact countertop water distiller that makes great distilled water. It features a removable boiling chamber that serves two purposes, for ease of filling and for ease of cleaning. As this unit distills water, the water will never come into contact with any plastic. As this is made from a good quality stainless steel. Another great feature of this product is that they care so much about not contaminating the water by hand stitching their own charcoal filters. As some companies just glue them together, thereby introducing glue to your distilled water.
The performance of the Pure Water distiller is about .80 gallons per 3 1/2 hours. Which isn’t that bad either.
- No installation required.
- It a timer included with this unit. So there is still a little water left after a cycle, which can be dumped out.
- Has top quality stainless steel construction.
- Completely free of the distilled water coming in contact with plastic.
- 3 liters (.79 gallon) per 3 1/2 hours.
- Has a pour-through lid.
- Made in the USA.
- Patented dual vents that let the VOC’s out during the cooling stage.
- Simple to use.
- Great customer support.
- 1 Gallon Glass container included.
- Removable boiling chamber for easier cleaning and filling with water.
- Great reputation, as big brand names and the United States Government use this distiller.
- Many positive reviews on this unit.
- Has a hand-stitched pillow charcoal filter that is made in their Nebraska plant. Some companies have their charcoal filters glued together. This is one of the purest post-filters you can buy.
- Parts are readily available if so happen something doesn’t work.
- Excellent 15 warranty on stainless parts and a two-year warranty on electrical.
- Heavy unit at 24 pounds.
- A glass container isn’t the easiest to pour out of.
- Expensive, but is quality built in the USA.
This is another compact countertop water distiller that makes one gallon in four hours. The 4000 has a stainless steel boiler and will make 6 gallons in a 24-hour window with a glass carafe to catch the distilled water. This does an excellent job of removing all the nasties found in water.
This unit takes 4 hours to produce one gallon of water and will make 6 gallons in 24 hours.
The dimensions of this Waterwise unit are 9 X 15 inches and weighs 14.5 pounds.
- Recently been approved upon, as now it has a glass jug with a handle.
- Has a glass catcher.
- The glass jug is ergonomically designed.
- Stainless steel condenser.
- 1-year Manufacturer’s Limited Warranty.
- Only comes in white.
- Comes with a carbon post filter to remove VOCs and improve the taste.
- Stainless steel interior.
- The glass collection jug fits inside the distiller for compact storage.
- No timer, as this has an automatic shut off. See above, Wemo Smart Plug to prolong the life of this water distiller and help with clean up.
With the Waterwise 8800, it comes with two pitchers, the left side is for filling with regular tap water, and the right side is the distilled side. The left side pitcher is made from BPA-free plastic, which is a negative for me, as I would like to see glass instead. The right pitcher is made of stainless steel, which is good.
The uniqueness of the 8800 is the programmability, as you can set it to turn on and off whenever you like. More distillers should have this feature but don’t.
The 8800 has a programmable easy to use electronic monitor, allowing you to set a time when to run. They also supply a carbon post filter when you buy this unit, and the multifunction LCD lets you know when to change the filter. The filter lasts depending on the water about three months.
The dimensions on the 8800 are 10.5 X 15.4 X 15 inches and weighs in at 14.3 pounds. This distiller takes about 4 hours to distill one gallon of water.
- This is a programmable water distiller to make distilled water whenever you want.
- Will alert you to change the post-filter when needed.
- Has a 1-year Limited Warranty.
- Has two pitchers for easy filling and pouring.
- Comes with a carbon filter.
- Easy to fill.
- Optional to buy an extra 1-gallon Carafe.
- Not the easiest to clean.
- The collection container is BPA-free plastic, would rather see the glass, but that’s up to you.
- No timer.
- Lots of plastic parts, which could break over time.
- Has a plastic water nozzle that comes in contact with the water.
- Made in China.
If you are looking for one of the cheapest water distillers that performs pretty well, this is one’s for you. Coming easily in under $100 bucks. Click the link to see the current price.
The distiller system is made of all stainless steel and no plastic parts internally, except for the collection container (seen in the picture below). This unit will make 4 liters of water in 4 hours, which is slightly more than a gallon. So, it makes one liter of distilled water per hour. So, this is roughly like the other units in performance.
Comes with cleaning powder and one filter. Filter changes are recommended every 2 to 3 months.
- Price is quite a bit cheaper than most units.
- Cleaning powder is included when buying this distiller.
- All stainless steel internal components.
- A good rating on Amazon for being so cheap.
- The collection container is plastic. This is a BPA Free plastic but would rather like to see a glass carafe.
- Made in China.
- No VOC vent.
- Poorly written instruction manual.
- Parts are hard to find.
This black and silver countertop distiller made from quality 304 stainless steel both internally and externally and the water never comes in contact with any plastic. It should take anywhere from 3 to 4 hours, to distill one gallon of water.
- Glass Jar. This is a thick glass jar secured with metal straps to strengthen the handle.
- Cheap, moderate price.
- 1-year warranty.
- Comes with a charcoal filter.
- Stainless steel condensing coils.
- Has an aluminum fan.
- An uncomfortable handle makes pouring a full jar a pain.
- The plastic silicon ring on the bottom of the outside of the carafe has issues of falling off.
- Must assemble handle on water collection carafe.
- Some people don’t have any problems with this unit, while others seem the unit quits working after a while.
- Made in China.
This SteamPure Countertop model is compact enough to fit under almost every countertop. This is made of stainless steel and is manufactured in the USA.
This will produce 9/10s of a gallon about 3 liters in a 4-hour cycle. This has a float switch and will shut off when turning off when the water gets too low. This will save on clean up as it will not burn the sediments into the boiling chamber. This is a great feature. Just make sure you always start with an empty container, to avoid overflow. The leftover water should drain via the drain valve on the back of the unit, every so often.
- Comes with a glass jar.
- Easy to clean.
- Has a manufacturer’s 3 Year Limited Warranty.
- Made in the USA.
- Completely 304 stainless steel interior.
- Has a manual drain to remove residue and easy cleaning.
- Auto shut off and stops running before burning sediments into the boiling chamber.
- Less clean up as it shuts off before all water is evaporated. As you can drain the water as well.
- Twin volatile gas vents in condensing coils to allow gases to vent off instead of into the water.
- Plenty of mixed reviews and comments and reviews on Amazon. Both positive and negative.
- Hefty, coming in at 28 pounds.
This unit needs to be manually filled by removing the boiling tank, this allows for easy cleaning as well. This will make 1 gallon of water in 4.5 hours and will make up to 5 gallons in a 24-hour time frame.
A feature I like about this model is that it leaves a small amount of water in the boiler after a cycle. Allowing for ease of clean up and reducing the burning in of sediments into the boiler. This has a carbon filter at its end-stage distillation to remove VOCs and improve the taste.
The dimensions of this unit are 9.5 X 16 X 15 inches and weighs 10 pounds.
- This unit will leave about 5 ounces of water at the end of its cycle in the boiling chamber. This is great for cleaning and maintaining.
- The collector is BPA-Free.
- The plastic jug has a dispenser.
- Removable boiling tank for ease of cleaning and filling.
- Stainless steel condenser.
- 1 Year Limited Warranty on Parts and Labor.
- Fan-Delayed start, which helps the water get up to temperature before cooling the condensing coils. This helps saves electricity.
- Has VOC vents at the top of condensing coils.
- Good instructions pamphlet provided.
- Plastic Jug.
Do you have a distiller, let me know how you like your distiller. Any questions or comments are always welcomed at HoneBodyMind.com.Share This: